Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Letterboxing

I'm on vacation this week so today a friend and I took my great niece, Morgan, and my great nephew, Noah, letterboxing. They've been wanting to go the the Colchester Causeway and find the letterbox that I planted there in Daisy's memory. It's the "Daisy Love" letterbox.


Morgan and Noah at the entrance to the Colchester Causeway


The Colchester Causeway is an old rail bed built at the end of the 1890's for the Rutland Railroad, opening up transportation from Rutland Vermont north to Canada. For more about the causeway, please visit http://www.lavigneworld.com/rutland/story.html, or http://www.town.colchester.vt.us/historical/railroads.htm (great pictures on this one), or http://town.colchester.vt.us/recreation/causeway_park.htm. It's a beautiful stretch out into Lake Champlain.



This is Law Island, one of the landmarks I used in the clues for finding my letterbox


Morgan and Noah had a great time and were able to find my box by following the clues. I was helping them with the stamping and forgot to take pictures of them actually stamping their journals! Darn! I could kick myself!

Looking out onto beautiful Lake Champlain


We also tried to find another letterbox that is on the Causeway not far from mine, but try as we may, we could not find it. We'll try again in the fall when there isn't so much brush to wade through.


Morgan and Noah sitting on the rock that I always sat on with Daisy.

She and I could sit there and watch the lake forever...

No comments: