Friday, August 15, 2008

Funny Old Photos, Part 4, The Melissa Years

In respecting Melissa's wishes, I've decided to only post a few pictures of her on my blog. She enjoyed the old ones of all of us as kids, but that's it. She'd rather I didn't put any more of her. I think she's afraid I would put embarrassing ones up; but I would never do that. I'm just going to share with you one of my favorite childhood pictures of her that was taken at the Granby Zoo in Canada.
Still, photos or no, I'd like to tell you a little about her.

Melissa is the "baby" of the family. She's two years younger than me, and we have always been very close. I remember my mom having to separate us when we were kids because we would giggle and giggle for hours and drive her crazy. I also remember my sister taking care of us and putting us in different rooms to take naps but we'd still hang off the bed so we could see each other and continue giggling.

Melissa and I used to play "house" all the time. We had dolls and would make a house out of blankets on the front porch. At one time, we had a wooden shed that was taken apart but left in large pieces, so we would make a house out of it by the fence and use the small plastic pool as our "well".

I should also tell you that she also had a mean streak in her! She even tripped me while I was running across the road trying to avoid being hit by a car, and I flew a few feet and landed on my hands in the gravel at the side of the road. The little stinker!

As adults we grew even closer. I was there when her daughter, Dani, was born. We lived side by side in a duplex for years and years, and now, we own a home together to share the care of our elderly and ill mother.

Melissa has survived breast cancer and all of the battles that it brings along with it. The surgery, chemo, and radiation. She is one of the strongest people I know and I love her more than words can say.

Melissa with husband, Bob, and daughter, Danielle

No comments: