Thursday, June 11, 2009

Birds and Buds

I found this nest out under the pine tree today. It was laying upside down with the strangest appendage protruding from it. Can you tell what it is? Look closely......


It's a dryer sheet! This mama bird wanted fresh smelling, no static babies, apparantly.

I walked out to the backyard and found that the peonies are getting ready to burst from their buds. The buds are huge this year! I heard on a gardening show that to get larger blossoms you should pluck off the smaller buds that grow around the sides. These buds are almost the size of ping pong balls. I can't wait until they open. My sister is in the hospital in Boston MA (we're in Vermont), so as soon as they open I will bring some down to her so she can enjoy them during her stay in rehab. She had one total hip replacement on Monday, June 8th, and the other will be done on Monday, June 22nd. I'll save that story for another time.




And, tell me, why do people dislike dandelions? I love them. They are gorgeous and cheery when they bloom, and even when they turn to fluffy, seedy heads they make me smile.


3 comments:

Genny said...

Penny, I LOVE peonies and dandies too! Great photos.

Knatolee said...

I wonder if Mama bird was pleased with her static-free wee ones? :) I guess it was a nice, soft piece of nesting material!

Shelley said...

Knatolee sent me over here to check out that nesting material. Hilarious!!!